FARIA AND NCURA:
A Transformative Partnership to Support Global Research Collaboration
The Finnish-American Research & Innovation Accelerator (FARIA) and the National Council of University Research Administrators (NCURA) have officially deepened their collaboration. This strategic partnership, formalized through a Memorandum of Understanding (MOU), marks a pivotal moment in advancing support for global research collaboration and innovation.
FARIA's Vision: A Catalyst for Collaboration
At its core, FARIA serves as a strategic US-focused network, integrating, aligning, and supporting joint actions among its Finnish member institutions. This platform, coordinated by Aalto University and the University of Helsinki, aims to elevate Finnish Research, Development, and Innovation (RDI) excellence, simplifying contact facilitation between Finland and key regions in the United States. FARIA's mission is to foster an environment where higher education institutions in Finland seamlessly collaborate with each other and their U.S. counterparts across relevant RDI areas. Acting as a launch pad for concrete RDI projects, FARIA envisions a dynamic ecosystem from ideation to implementation.
NCURA: Shaping Research Administration Excellence Globally
Founded in 1959, NCURA is a non-profit professional society dedicated to advancing the profession of research administration. With a focus on education, professional development, and fostering a diverse global community, NCURA has been a pillar in shaping the landscape of research administration for over six decades. Boasting over 8,400 members from 40 countries, NCURA actively promotes communication and understanding between research administrators worldwide. The organization's mission is clear: to serve all members by advancing expertise in the profession of research administration.
The MOU: A Blueprint for Collaboration
The recently signed MOU between FARIA and NCURA establishes a foundation for their collaborative efforts. The key commitments include:
1. Information Exchange: FARIA and NCURA commit to sharing valuable information and resources with their members, ensuring a seamless flow of knowledge.
2. Knowledge Exchange Events: Both organizations will co-host workshops, webinars, and events to facilitate the exchange of ideas and expertise among members.
3. Co-Authoring Publications: A commitment to collaborate on publications related to global collaboration and research administration issues, contributing to a deeper understanding of international research dynamics.
4. Educational Programs: FARIA and NCURA will cooperate on educational programs to enhance the capabilities of professionals involved in research administration.
5. Networking and Referrals: Jointly organizing networking events and referrals, FARIA and NCURA aim to foster connections among professionals and institutions.
6. Speaker and Trainer Support: Both organizations pledge to provide speakers and trainers for educational programs, enhancing the educational aspect of their collaboration.
7. National-Level and Policy Collaboration: FARIA and NCURA will leverage their collective expertise to support national-level collaboration and policy initiatives, contributing to the broader research landscape.
NCURA's Leadership Integration into FARIA's Advisory Board
In a significant development, Kathleen Larmett, the Executive Director of NCURA, has joined FARIA's External Advisory Board. This appointment not only solidifies personal commitment but also brings a wealth of experience and leadership to guide FARIA strategically.
In summary, the collaboration between FARIA and NCURA, underpinned by the MOU and reinforced by NCURA's history and expertise, signifies a major step forward in fostering international research collaboration. With FARIA's mission and NCURA's dedication as guiding forces, this partnership is positioned to create a lasting impact, breaking down barriers, promoting innovation, and enhancing the global interconnectedness of the research community.